MealPayPlus at MyPaymentsPlus

  • MealPayPlus The MCS Food & Nutrition Department is offering the convenience of automated prepayment for your child's meals via the Internet with the MealPayPlus program at the website MyPaymentsPlus (  You may add funds to your student’s account with a VISA, Master Card, Discover credit/debit cards or electronic checks.  A convenience fee of $2.00 will apply for each payment to your student account(s).  Money deposited into “MealPayPlus” generally appears in the account within 12-24 hours. 
    MealPayPlus also offers the ability to view your child's purchase history and account balance at no charge.  Log on to the MyPaymentsPlus website or call (866) 682-9276 to get started.  Student ID numbers are needed in order to use this feature.  These numbers can be obtained from your school cafeteria, the Central Office, or by calling 1-877-237-0946.
    Checks for payment of meals are welcome.  If your check is returned for in-sufficient funds, you will be responsible for the amount of the check plus a service charge of $10 for each occurrence. 
    You may continue to have money in your student’s account to purchase extra items if you so choose.  Morgan County uses an on line system called “MealPayPlus.”  This allows you to securely keep money in your student’s account.  This would eliminate the need for your student to take money to school for food items.    
    Non-Discrimination Statement

    In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

    (1)   mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

    (2)   fax: (202) 690-7442; or

    (3)  email:

    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Last Modified on October 30, 2019