Title VI Rights & Procedures
Morgan County BOE does not discriminate based on race, color, or national origin in federal or state sponsored programs, pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Right Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d). It is the policy of Morgan County Board of Education not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability in its hiring and employment practices, or in admission to, access to, or operation of its programs, services, and activities.What is Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act?No person in the United States shall on the grounds of race, color, or national origin be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under a program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. It covers all forms of federal aid except those federally funded contracts of insurance and guaranty. It does not cover employment except where employment practices result in discrimination against program beneficiaries or where the purpose of federal assistance is to provide employment. Nor does it apply to discrimination based on age, sex, geographical locale or wealth.What discrimination is prohibited by Title VI?There are various forms of illegal discrimination based on race, color, or national origin that can limit the opportunity of minorities to gain equal access to services and programs either directly or through contractual means. Discrimination based on race, color, or national origin that:
How can I file a discrimination complaint?
- Denies program services, aids, or benefits,
- Provides a different service, aid or benefit or provides them in a manner different than they are provided to others, or
- Segregates or separately treats individuals in any matter related to the receipt of any service, aid, or benefit.
Please submit written complaint to the following:Morgan County BOEAttention Director of Schools136 Flat Fork RoadWartburg, TN 37887Phone: (423) 346-6214
- You may file a signed written complaint within 20 days to the date of the alleged discrimination. The complaint should include the following:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- The name and address of the agency, institution, or department you believe discriminated against you
- How, why, and when you believe you were discriminated against (include as much specific detailed information as possible about the alleged acts of discrimination and any other relevant information)
- The names of any persons, if known, whom could be contacted for clarity of your allegations
- Your complaint must be signed
Last Modified on January 8, 2013